Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Hate Blogger Usability Bugs (and Website Bugs in General)

I've spoken about neat features with Blogger involving pre-writing blogs and posting them with a "Scheduled" feature so I can write, say, blogs for the next three days and have them automatically appear. I can take a weekend off while still keeping content flowing.

But there are real glitches that, to put it lightly, tick me off.

I decided to find out what would happen if you have a brain fart and forget that September has 30 days. I scheduled an entry for September 31st.

The intelligent thing to do is for the application to see that you scheduled something for 9/30+1 day, and wrap it to 10/1 automatically.

This doesn't work. It publishes it immediately. That review for Diet Myths I did on 9/13? It was supposed to be today's entry.

Oh! I'll go back and edit the date so it appears later on. No harm, right?

No dice. I could probably delete the post and put it in as a new one, but otherwise...nope. Oh, it changed the date alright. On 9/13, when I wrote it the entry was still there but the blog entry was still visible. It just had the date set to 10/1 at the top.

Argh! So what then? Every day it stays at the top, since the date is set in the future, and visitors to the site will see it every day as my most recent story?

Not only is it bad form but my Aspergian mind would probably warp itself until it imploded at seeing something so out of whack. I immediately changed the date back to 9/13 and kept two blog posts for the day, resigned to the fact that I would just have to have it appear earlier than I planned. I filled in the entry that it was supposed to take with a bitching rant on poor usability. This entry.

Seems like Blogger would be better fleshed out. Apparently not. So if you're taking advantage of the pre-dating and pre-scheduling features of Blogger, keep in mind it's too stupid to adjust for your mind farts when it comes to dating items.

Along the same line glitches and bugs can occur in more serious forms. I noticed a bug in my primary bank's website. I was logged in checking on funds for paying bills, a really wonderful fun activity. I saw my wife hadn't transferred funds in yet. I asked her about it, she sighed, signed in on her computer, and transferred some money in so I could pay bills.

I viewed my accounts. No money changed. I viewed account details, and I saw the amount she transferred in; but it wasn't showing up under the totals. I switched views, refreshed, everything. The amount she transferred showed up under details but would NOT show up under available amounts. I logged off the bank site and logged back in, then everything showed up just fine.

Apparently the bank software doesn't handle changes made to the joint account when the two owners of said account are manipulating it at the same time. This is a DEFINITE possible exploit, and given enough time I'm sure there's some way to use this information to a black hat hacker's advantage. At a bare minimum it shows some poor programming protection for the site, and it also is annoying as hell to think they didn't think that it would be possible for a joint checking account to be accessed by the owners at the same time, and apparently it may have issues with handling changes in amounts showing up properly.

I'm sure there's plenty of behind-the-scenes reasons that this is a problem. I don't care. For the end user, this shouldn't be an issue.

That's the end of my complaints for web applications for now. It's a little scary that sites accessible by so many on the webbertubes could possibly take advantage of glitches, bugs, and outright security holes on websites holding my personal information. At worst, they're annoyances, like the one I found in Blogger. It's elementary that the application should compensate for something as simple as the user screwing up a date, and when there's a mistake it should be able to know that the user is trying to schedule the entry to show up in the future and thus if the date is greater than the current date, hide the damn thing. At worst, the site is showing a potential condition that can be taken advantage of, like the one I found with the banking site. It could be innocuous but glitches like that in the hands of math and logic geniuses can lead to some really interesting exploits (don't believe me? Read the story about Mac keyboards having their firmware exploited. Yes, that's right, your keyboard would be used to spy on you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment