Sunday, March 14, 2010

EEE PC: More Conclusions

I've been using the EEE as my primary system for over a month now. So what's it like?

First the upsides.

My data is always with me. That's the primary reason we use computers; to have access to our data and services. I always had my computer on at home with secure shell open and waiting for my connections in the first place; I could access it from a laptop or other computer when away. Now I have that data whenever my netbook is with me, meaning accessing it is a bit faster (since I'm not editing a manuscript over a network connection, for example). It also means that I can access the data when I don't have a network connection available.

This thing is a tough little computer. The hard drive in the 701/4G Surf is not a standard drive, meaning no spinning platters with a little read/write head floating a hairs' breadth from the surface of the metal, further meaning that if it were dropped or there are extremes in temperature it would scrape the platter and possibly damage the head or media. It also means it runs quieter and requires less cooling.

It's small. This thing takes portability to heart; it's so lightweight that I think the Vaultz case I use to carry it actually weighs more than the netbook.

It runs Linux. I know Linux. It's usable, it's relatively small, and commands that work on my desktop at work also work on my netbook. I now have it running the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, so it stays up to date with security fixes and again...the commands are familiar. I can use handy tricks like redirecting Secure Shell tunnels and mounting other Linux computer filesystems with sshfs, and there's no vendor-exclusivity.

This unit happens to be one of the ones that has an underside panel that unscrews to add memory. I have a 512 meg DDR2 DIMM card running at 400 Mhz. I can probably upgrade it relatively inexpensively and without needing to solder or screw around with modifications to the unit.

Once you get the hang of it, using encryption on the laptop isn't so bad. I have encrypted my home directory so that if it is stolen, someone would have to crack the password in order to gain access to my files. If I'm not logged in or didn't leave my account logged in, my files appear as gobbledygook to anyone that tries looking at my home directory contents from a boot disk.

The unit has a built-in SD Card slot. I like it because I'm frequently transferring images from my camera and video camera to my external drives. The EEE was initially using the SD slot as additional swappable storage to make up for the small 4 gig built-in drive, but I've found that it was ahead of its time with giving access to SD cards now that so many accessories store data on them and using the USB cable can entail special drivers or instructions or software to interface with the toys. Lowest common denominator tends to be more reliable. Just insert the data card and use it like a disk volume instead of farting around with your high tech sony insta-digital-camera's settings.

Then there are downsides.

My data is always with me. If my netbook dies before I make a backup or if it's stolen, I lose my primary working set of data.

The drive in it tends to be on the slow side. I'm pretty sure this thing is using something more akin to an internal flash drive than an SSD drive because I've read information and seen video of SSD-equipped systems and they are fast compared to standard drives. this thing has a tiny amount of storage space and tends to crawl. It could very well be the sub-par specs compared to today's machines; it wouldn't be the first time I've hit bottlenecks that I didn't think were caused by a particular technology (i.e., a server that was slow and I thought it was the network getting bogged down, only to discover that indeed we've hit a point where the RAID controller and slower drives couldn't keep up with data requests!)

The battery life is sub-par. I bought a new battery thinking the old one was dying; nope, I still get around two hours of usable time on it. Very annoying, given the small screen and lack of spinning drive. The time on comparable netbooks today is closer to six hours or more. Either the battery technology on this is really crap or there's somthing quirky in the early generation 4G's.

It's small. The portability comes at a price. I wish there were some easy way of getting a virtual keyboard or a keyboard that expanded; the keys on this unit are small, and my fingers are big. I know I've brought this up before. My take is that I can almost type on it well. My error rate is definitely higher, and I am glad when I use it at home that I have a USB keyboard to plug into it so the "native" keyboard is more of a fallback while on the road. It's annoying but not a dealbreaker.

Linux was created for geeks, by geeks. It scratches personal itches, meaning that usability "papercuts", as they're called by Canonical's CEO, aren't bandaged unless a particular programmer is irritated by it enough to fix it. More often than not that means that Linux afficionados find workarounds and make excuses, saying that it's not hard to get around the issue, just do XYZ. That works well for them, but makes the Linux system look piss poor when comparing a simple, everyday task on a Mac running OS X (which is running a derivative of UNIX under the hood) and a Linux system side by side and it just works on the OS X system. I shouldn't have to use workarounds after two decades of development under Linux.

What kind of tasks? This is another papercut. I use a desktop monitor at home, an LCD panel. I plug it into the Mac, the Mac recognizes it and sets the display and refresh rates correctly. I have the monitor in front of me and the notebook on my right; on the Mac I tell it to arrange the monitor on the notebook's left and then dragged the strip on the virtual monitors to the LCD panel, turning it into my primary display. Works great. I was pleasantly surprised when I connected it up again the other day and the display came up as my primary display again, complete with doc and menu bar, with the notebook acting as a secondary display. It must have filed away some information about my LCD panel to remember my settings. Nice!

The netbook, however, loses this configuration. I connect the monitor up and boot the netbook. Inevitably, the first time it discovers the monitor, it mis-sets the refresh rate so that things are readable, but vibrating so fast that graphics look like they're being buzzed visually. Highly annoying. Oddly enough, I reboot the computer, and it will display things more sharply, like the second time around it discovers the proper refresh rate. Two boots. Every time.

Furthermore, if I try rearranging the displays, it won't set the graphics properly. I lose the menu bars and task bars, I can't use the netbook with the monitor attached anymore because I've basically lost all the control elements. I need to disconnect the monitor and re-set my settings to fix it. No matter how I try to set it or arrange it, the netbook screws it up. So I'm left with my primary display being on the netbook on my right side, and dragging my windows to the right hand side of the netbook's display to have it "wrap" to the primary monitor I want to use, then re-maximize programs. It appears that the primary display on the netbook/Ubuntu system is the monitor that is set to be on the "left" side of the virtual displays. Since I can't rearrange the displays and have it properly arrange graphical elements like menus, I can't move the Samsung LCD monitor to the left; the netbook always thinks it's on the right. That sucks.

I think the USB controllers on the netbook are slow, or the combination of memory/CPU/controller makes it slow. The netbook has a tremendous system load appear if I copy a lot of data over the USB bus to external Western Digital drives. Given that the netbook has a low amount of storage to begin with, this really means that things I occasionally do on computers...audio or video editing, for example...are out of this system's reach. It can barely watch YouTube videos, let alone edit them. Using external drives to store large data files would be painful to even contemplate.

Power is screwy on this thing. I keep getting this "your battery may be bad" error. I looked into it after I replaced the battery and it still had the error message; turns out that the unit is apparently known for it. The circuitry reports the power level to the operating system as a percentage, so the operating system interprets it as being at 1.9% power since it's converting the percent to another percent; it's suppose to report the power output in mAh. 100 mAh on a battery reporting itself as having a capacity of 5200 mAh is indeed going to screw up the math, and it appears that no one is going to fix this issue with a patch specific to the ASUS battery model in question within Linux.

Related to power, when this gets low on power it just shuts off. Blip. All work not saved is gone. No warning. The MacBook I use from work will try to go to sleep or hibernate to save your work, and give ample warning. The most warning this gives is a red battery display in the upper corner of the menu (which I configured to show that information) and if I don't keep an eye on it, blip it shuts down straight dead. It's a nasty surprise.

There is no disc drive. I know this cuts down on power use and size, but still it's a little bit of a pain not to be able to burn discs or access burned discs, especially when Ubuntu's built-in support of disc burning trumps OS X's way of handling it in my opinion (in OS X it looks like I'm burning aliases instead of files. I was sure when I first did it that I actually burned a disc of shortcuts instead of the content I actually wanted. Not user friendly in that aspect. Ubuntu uses Brasero to open a window in which it looks like I'm dragging copies of my files to that window, then click the big "burn" button to finalize it.)

Conclusions...

I've been using it exclusively for my desktop work at home. I am able to use it for most things I need; but I am limited, and those limitations chafe me. I can't watch many Youtube videos because it stutters on some of them horribly; I'm better off using my iPod. I can't use my computer to sync my iPod; but I already have a Windows computer to which I connect it with iTunes (and use my netbook to VNC into the headless Windows computer to do updates and maintenance.) I can't run Virtualbox...I suppose I could, but man it would be horribly slow, and there's no way I could create a hard disk bigger than a couple hundred meg at most without an external drive, and that would make access even slower.

The tasks I primarly focus on...remote control of the Windows system for my iPod, editing my manuscript of a novel, composing email in Thunderbird and reading mostly static web content...it works okay for those tasks. It does get bogged down with flash content to the point where it'll stutter the interface (the web browser will "pause" as it loads content, making the menus and tabs unusable for up to thirty seconds at a time.)

It's portable and it boots relatively quickly. Actually running of tasks seems to slow it down, but booting isn't that bad, despite running with encryption on the home directory.

I am able to get my primary work done, just with a little more care and a few more...papercuts.

In the end there are systems today available for under $500 that are refined versions of this 701. Unfortunately most of them are Windows 7-based so support for Linux is limited to what you can find from other netbook pioneers and experimenters online before buying, and since netbooks often have specialized design considerations there is an increased chance that something won't work properly due to driver issues if you try installing Linux on a new netbook. Would I consider getting a new netbook to use as my primary system? I'd consider it. I'd like to find something that addresses limitations in storage and speed, but again that influences some of the things I like about this unit...size, quiet running, and the flash memory instead of regular hard disk drive. Most of the cheaper units out there use micro drives so there's plenty of storage (if it has Windows, it needs that extra storage). On the other hand the battery life has increased to 6+ hours despite the slightly larger displays and traditional hard disks.

So the unit is usable, but I'm on the lookout for something better down the road. If I had a ten star rating system I'd give it an overall six for my purposes; satisfied enough to keep using it, but I definitely look around at Sam's Club and Amazon and NewEgg at the current crop of systems and wonder if I have enough money to buy something that might possibly fit my needs better.

No comments:

Post a Comment