Saturday, September 12, 2009

Overnight Delivery in Just Four Days

I recently had the good fortune of discovering my CPU cooler's fan had seized up. If you're unfamiliar with the internals of your computer, modern processors get hot. Very hot. Like, burn your bare finger hot. If allowed to stay that hot, it seizes up and dies. Or with today's processors they have a sensor that triggers when they overheat and the computer goes into thermal shutdown...*bloop*.

The CPU cooler is a radiator that is designed to pull heat off the processor and circulate it out of the case. On my particular computer the cooler with the radiator baffles is bigger than my fist, and mounted on it is a fan to push air through the baffles and keep the processor at a cool 50 degrees Celsius, give or take, depending on the load I'm putting on it.

Well, without air circulating through the baffles, the thing will heat up. Fortunately my computer, built by Puget Systems, is built like a tank. The freakin' thing warmed up, but not enough to kill the processor. Nice work! It had enough redundancy with cooling inside that the system was kept safe. My computer has a case with a clear panel on the side, so I just looked over and saw that the fan was seized up.

It happens over time. Dust, age, worn bearings...fans die.

A side note-while waiting for the new part, I installed a program to read temperatures and display them on the panel at the top of my Linux system's desktop. I had temps...but what was too much? I emailed Puget and asked them, along with current numbers. Their techs emailed me back the next business day with assurance that the numbers were well within tolerance. I emailed back a thank you, and they emailed again telling me, "Hey, no problem, any other questions don't hesitate to let us know." This computer was purchased a few years ago...they still were uber-responsive to me as a customer. Strong incentive for me to look to them for my next set of systems, if I don't go with a Mac-centric home...

Anyway, I ordered a new one on NewEgg, a great source for techie toys. Exact same model cooler. This was a Thursday night. I specified, next day UPS, expedited order. Cost me a total of $65...twice as much as the cooler alone.

My wife said I probably wouldn't get it on Friday. I didn't.

I got it Monday night.

Oddly enough, I'm still going to be billed for overnight delivery.

In a time when packages could be tracked to the point when they're dropped on my porch, why am I paying for what I'd like my delivery to be, instead of what the delivery ends up being?

I shouldn't have to pay overnight when I didn't get it for FOUR days!

Am I the only one that thinks this makes some sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment